The MIMIR is the MQL's Individual Championship competition.
Each of the constituent leagues run their own heats, with the best players going forward to the MQL MIMIR heat.
The quiz is played using the following format
- Each heat shall consist of up to 4 players answering 5 rounds of 3 questions.
- Each heat requires 3 officials; a QP, a Scorer and a Bonus Counter.
- The seating position is drawn at random.
- In each round each player is asked 3 questions consecutively and awarded 1 point for a correct answer.
- Incorrectly or unanswered questions are called bonuses. Players wishing to attempt an answer should be indicating in the usual manner at the time when the QP opens the question out. A correct answer is awarded 1 point.
- Bonuses are offered in turn to the player with the fewest attempts at answering bonus questions. In the event of players having made an equal number of attempts, the question passes to the left.
- If there is a tie at the end of the heat, the tied players are asked the same 3 extra questions in turn. If the heat is still unresolved then each tied player is asked a tie-breaker question with the nearest to the correct answer being the winner.
The MQL Mimir heat consists of 32 players. In 2018 the number of qualifiers from each League will be as follows;
Plus holder (currently Karl Whelan)
In the instance of a player being unable to take up their place then their League can nominate a replacement. An absence on the evening will be filled by a random draw from any willing non-qualifiers who are present.